Friday, September 7, 2007

I did NOT have to teach my son THIS...


I firmly believe that fathers have an innate ability to pass certain irrefutable knowledge on to their sons. This is accomplished most often by their mere example in combination with the sons' uncanny ability to identify these truths even at an early age.

Today's example...

My son Zachary recently discovered a box of Matchbox cars that he had owned for a couple of years but had been unplayed-with for at least 6 months. As such, these were of course "new" cars to him. I had just come home from meeting with a friend of mine when he came bouncing up to me Tigger-style with the joyous revelation he'd uncovered and proceeded to inform me that I needed to come see his newly-found treasures.

I followed the Tennessee Jumping Bean into the playroom where he had the cars lined up in almost (and I cannot believe I'm using this word) NASCAR style on the floor with the faster-looking cars up front and the slower vehicles behind. As soon as I took in this scene he announced,

"Look Dad! They're racing! They're having a big race!"

---short pause here---

"Well, except for this minivan - it can't race."

GENIUS!! I never had to tell him the inglorious truths regarding minivans - he knew this instinctively!! Gee whiz I love my sons...

P.S. I've had a couple of emails in support of minivans... from moms... of course. God Bless moms - but we still can't race their cars.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I LOVE it! Grant told Mike we needed to
"Make this van a RaceCar van, it isn't quite fast enough, you know dad, big wheels, cool windows, and no car seats for girls!!"

heeheehee

as for the NASCAR comment *LOL* My son is addicted to it GAH! he LOVES it up and down, and so i surrender my wants, and .... give him.... a NASCAR.... birthday... and ... ROOM!
Lord help us through this most difficult time
heh

Jules said...

awww..come on...their not THAT bad! Minivans that is...I agree about NASCAR ( around and around and around they go..and why they do it nobody will ever know! ;-)) Back to minivans...when you have 4 kiddos still in carseats or boosters and you have to buckle them all in...a minivan with easy access is a blessing! Someday when they all get in, sit down and buckle up on their own then Mama shall dream about her crossover or SUV :) But for now, thankful for my Kia Sedona :)

LNA said...

Grocery catchers--that's what Matt called them when he insulted Eric for getting one.But guess what?? Matt now has a grocery catcher too!!! Heehee--eventually they get us all...

Jules said...

And..."they" ( meaning the men that never go catch the groceries) sure seem to enjoy said groceries once they are caught - huh? LOL
;)

Don't get me wrong...I DROOL over little BMWs or a Volvo :) LOL But I much prefer a vehicle that can catch everything in one trip :)